Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Vazhaipoo (Banana Flower) Kootu

My MIL had brought 3 vazhaipoo's from her native. I had done both the vadai and curry and I still had one more to go. I searched in the internet for vazhaipoo kootu recipe but I couldnt find one. I then asked my grandmother and she gave me this wonderful recipe. The result was delicious. Here we go with the recipe:

Ingredients

Vazhaipoo or Banana Flower - 1 (cut)
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt
Oil
Curry Leaves & Coriander Leaves - for garnish
Red Chili - 1
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp

For the seasoning
Red Chilli - 3
Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Bengal Gram Dal - 1 tbsp
Coriander Seeds (Dhania) - 1 tbsp

Preparation

Roast the seasoning ingredients with little bit of oil till it becomes light brown and make a fine paste.

Boil dal and banana flower separately. In a pan heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When it starts to sputter, add red chilli. Add the cooked banana flower and stir it once. Add dal. Add turmeric powder and salt. As soon as it starts boiling add the seasoning paste. Allow it to boil for 1 minute. For garnishing add curry leaves and coriander leaves.

Vazhaipoo (Banana Flower) Kootu is ready and Yummy!!!

1 comment:

Siv said...

you've got quite a range of recipes.
for seasoning kootu - i feel jeera (cumin seeds) would add a lot of flavour and taste.

Similar Posts