Friday, November 28, 2008

Banana Litchi Jam


I had these banana's which were really ripe and nobody in the house wanted to touch them. I was planning to try Usha's recipe of banana date bread but then I did not have dates or rather any dry fruits. Then I thought of trying to make it into a jam. But again I did not want to try it with banana alone. I had some litchi juice concentrate. So here we go with the recipe.

Ingredients

Banana - 4 or 5
Litchi Juice Concentrate - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
Artificial Color - Yellow (Optional)

Preparation


Mash 4 bananas. Cut the remaining 1 banana to small pieces. In a pan, add the mashed bananas. Add the cut banana. Keep the flame in low heat. Add the litchi juice to the bananas. Once this mixture starts boiling, add sugar. (Sugar is optional as bananas and litchis will itself be sweet.). To this add lemon juice. Add yellow color. Keep stirring. The mixture will start frothing up.

To check for the jam consistency: I keep a metal tablespoon sitting in cold water, then take a half spoonful of the mix and let it cool to room temperature on the spoon. If it thickens up to the thick consistency, then I know the jam is ready.

When the mixture is warm, transfer the mixture to a air tight jar and keep it refrigerated.


Banana Litchi Jam is ready and Yummy!!!

I also think that these would make for a nice holiday gift and would like to send it as my entry to Home-made Christmas Gifts event hosted by My Kitchen Treasures.

3 comments:

Nirvana's Kitchen said...

This is such a good idea! I'll keep this in mind when I have bananas lying around that I don't know what to do with :) Thanks Ramya!

Usha said...

Loved this idea of banana jam, it must have tasted absolutely yum...will try this when I have ripe bananas the next time...I sure am glad you did not have the dates to try the banana date bread :-)

Finla said...

Thankyou for sending this to me. banana and llichi sounds agreat combo.

Similar Posts