Friday, March 26, 2010

Eggless Sponge Cake with Chocolate Chips


The last few weeks have been happening. I have been exploring the house like a new child who has just started to explore things. Though my dad has been living here for quite a few months, he had not unpacked any of the cartons. So it was a week of unpacking. By the time I unpacked everything, I felt that I could start a mini Indian grocery store. Together (me, N and my dad) had got so many Indian groceries. Good for us I should say. 

With all the new enthusiasm I thought I would make pizza. I made the pizza, finished putting the toppings and switched on the oven. I put the pizza in the oven and after 5 minutes the fire alarm starting ringing loud in the entire house. It was my first experience and I panicked since gas lines run around the house. N, meanwhile patiently opened all doors and windows and switched off the oven. After ringing for around 10 minutes, it finally stopped. That is when I appreciated 'Silence'. Well the pizza was a disaster...This entirely dashed my hope of baking anything.

I was talking to my neighbors and they gave me the solution for avoiding the fire alarm. I tried it and when it worked, I decide to bake a small pound cake. 

I adapted Madhuram's recipe. Here is my version:

Ingredients

All purpose flour - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 1 stick (1/2 cup) - I used salted butter
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk - 2 tbsp
Flax Seed Powder - 2tbsp thoroughly mixed with 6 tbsp of water
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Chocolate Chips - 10-12 pieces

Preparation

Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour your cake pan. Sift together flour and baking powder. Beat butter and sugar using low speed for about a minute. Add milk, vanilla. and flax seed mixture. Beat well. Add flour mixture and blend with a mixture using low speed. Spread the batter in the cake / loaf pan.  I used round cake pan. Add chocolate chips on top on the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes. When I did the knife test, it came out clean. after 25 minutes. But after cooling I the center to be little bit soggy. So I would suggest baking it for 30 minutes at least. Once the cake has rested for at least 20 minutes, invert it and then slice it.

Cake is ready and yummy!!!

~ Ramya

No comments:

Similar Posts